Project SAMVAD - Support, Advocacy and Mental Health Interventions for Children in Vulnerable Circumstances and Diseases
Shankar School of Banking March 18 , 2021 92
Lok Sabha passes the Appropriation Bill
- Lok Sabha on 17th March passed the Appropriation Bill to draw funds from the Consolidated Fund of India.
- According to the constitution of India, no money shall be withdrawn from the Consolidated Fund of India except under appropriation made by the law.
- The Appropriation Bill is is introduced to provide for the appropriation, out of the Consolidated Fund of India, all money required to meet:
- The grants voted by the Lok Sabha.
- The expenditure charged on the Consolidated Fund of India.
- This bill is passed at the end of passing the Budget of the year.
- Speaker of Lok Sabha: Om Birla
Rajya Sabha passes the MTP Bill 2020
- The Rajya Sabha passed the Medical Termination of Pregnancy (Amendment) Bill, 2020. The Bill was passed in March 2020 in the Lok Sabha, but the original Bill was framed in 1971.
- Currently, abortion requires the opinion of 1 doctor if it is done within 12 weeks of conception, and 2 doctors if it is done between 12 and 20 weeks.
- Also, women seeking to terminate a pregnancy beyond 20 weeks had to seek the permission of the court.
- The Bill allows abortion to be done on the advice of one doctor up to 20 weeks, and two doctors in the case of certain categories of women between 20 and 24 weeks.
- For a pregnancy to be terminated after 24 weeks in case of foetal abnormalities, the opinion of the State-level medical board is essential.
- SAMVAD - Support, Advocacy and Mental Health Interventions for Children in Vulnerable Circumstances and Diseases
- The project, aimed at mental health outreach for children who are abandoned and orphaned, child survivors of trafficking, or in conflict with law, was led by National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS).
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development is funding the project.
- The project is being run in collaboration with Panchayati Raj Ministry at a cost of Rs.56 crore for five years.
State of the World’s Indigenous Peoples Report
- Department of Economic and Social Affairs under the United Nations released the State of the World’s Indigenous Peoples (SOWIP) report.
- According to the there has been a rise in cases of encroachment onto indigenous lands and territories during the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent lockdowns.
- There are 17 key SDGs addresses the issues of indigenous people.
- Chairperson of the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues: Anne Nuorgam
World Energy Transitions Outlook Report
- World Energy Transitions Outlook Report was released by the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA).
- It proposes energy transition solutions for the narrow pathway available to contain the rise of temperature to 1.5°C and halt global warming.
- Emerging energy system must promote a more inclusive and equitable world, with resilience against economic and environmental shocks.
- IRENA estimates that by 2050, 90% of total electricity needs would be supplied by renewables, followed by 6% from natural gas and the remaining from nuclear.
- The agency has identified 30 innovations for the integration of wind and solar PV in power systems.
National Record in Steeplechase
- Avinash Sable has set the new National record in the Steeplechase race conducted for the Federation Cup.
- Avinash set his new national record at 8:20.20 against his own old record.
Chiefs of CRPF & NSG
- IPS officer Kuldiep Singh has been appointed as the new Director General (DG) of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
- Another IPS officer M.A. Ganapathy has been named as the DG of National Security Guard (NSG).
- Mr Singh is a 1986 batch IPS officer of West Bengal cadre while Mr Ganapathy is of Uttarakhand cadre