Global Tree City Status to Hyderabad
Shankar School of Banking February 19 , 2021 27
Chennai International Film Festival
- The 18th edition of the Chennai International Film Festival (CIFF), organised by the Indo Cine Appreciation Foundation (ICAF) in association with PVR, was inaugurated on 18th February, 2021.
- The French film “The Girl with the Bracelet”, directed by Stéphane Demoustier, was screened as the opening film.
- In its 18th edition, the film festival will screen 91 films from 53 countries over the next seven days.
Asian-Arab Chamber of Commerce opens office
- The Asian-Arab Chamber of Commerce has set up its south India office in Chennai and plans to open 14 more trade offices in Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
- National Director of the South Zone and Goa Mr. R. L. Kannan mentioned about an Arab Special Economic Zone in Thoothukudi on 300 acres of land for collaboration with Arab companies.
Global Tree City Status to Hyderabad
- Hyderabad has won the green contest to emerge as one of the “Tree Cities of the World”.
- The title has been bestowed by the Arbor Day Foundation and the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
- The city was evaluated on five metrics:
- Establish Responsibility
- Set the Rules
- Know What You Have
- Allocate the Resources
- Celebrate the Achievements
- Hyderabad city joins with 120 other cities from 23 countries, including the U.S., the U.K., Canada, and Australia.
NHAI successfully transitions to 100 per cent cashless toll collection at NH fee plazas across country
- The National Highways Authority of India, NHAI has successfully transitioned to 100 per cent cashless toll collection at National Highway fee plazas across the country.
- All lanes in the fee plazas on National Highways have been declared as FASTag lanes from 16th of February.
- Currently, the total penetration of FASTag has reached around 87 per cent.
- To facilitate adoption of FASTag by highway users, a Free FASTag campaign is underway till 1st March, by waiving off the tag cost of Rs 100.
- In order to provide convenience to highway users to keep a track of FASTag balance, a new feature Check Balance Status has been added in Mobile App - My FASTag App.
IPL Players’ Auction
- The auction of cricket players was held on 18th February, 2021.
- K. Gowtham became the most expensive uncapped player in IPL history when he was signed by Chennai Super Kings (CSK) for ₹9.25 crore.
- South African player Chris Morris was bought by Rajasthan Royals for ₹16.25 crore, a record high bid in the history of IPL.
RBI approved DHFL takeover
- RBI has approved the bid of Piramal Capital and Housing Finance Ltd (PCHFL) to take over the Dewan Housing Finance Limited (DHFL).
- PCHFL has won the bid to acquire DHFL for ₹34,250 for the ₹14,700 crore cash up-front and ₹19,550 crore non-convertible debentures of DHFL.
- The Process of acquiring will be over by April-May 2021.
AI based translation software inaugurated by Bangladesh Supreme Court
- The Bangladesh Supreme Court launched the Artificial Intelligence (AI) based translation software ‘Amar Vasha’ on Thursday through a virtual event.
- The software will translate orders and judgements of the Supreme Court from English to Bangla.
- The Software has been developed with ‘EkStep’ foundation of India.
- It is based on their ‘Anuvaad’ translation software used in India to translate from English to Indian languages including Bangla.
- Anuvaad was deployed by the Supreme Court of India as SUVAS (Supreme Court Vidhik Anuvaad Software) from November 2019.
- The 2nd Governor of Telangana Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan to be act as the Lieutenant Governor of Pondicherry Union Territory.
- Manika Batra won the National Table Tennis Title by defeating her opponent Reet Rishya.
- Seiko Hashimoto has been appointed as the President of Tokyo Olympic organising Committee.