DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 22-11-2022
National e-Governance Conference
- The 25th National e-Governance conference will be held at the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University at Kakryal in Katra town of Reasi district in Jammu region on 25 November and 26 November 2022.
- The Department of Administrative Reforms· & Public Grievances (DARPG) and Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY), in association with the Union Territory Government of Jammu and Kashmir will organize the conference.
- The theme of the 25th National e-Governance conference is ‘Bringing Citizens, Industry and Government Closer’.
- The application and use of Information technology and communication (ICT) in governance is known as e-governance.
JKRIS 7 g-SAM Mobile App
- Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) Lieutenant Governor Shri Manoj Sinha has launched the Jammu and Kashmir Remote Sensing Information System (JKRIS), a spatial data infrastructure initiative and g-SAM (Gram Panchayat Spatial Assets Mapper) mobile app.
- It was launched at the convention of geographic information system (GIS) government officials, professionals and entrepreneurs organised to mark World GIS Day.
- The Geographic Information System technology ecosystem is offering new communication tools to different sectors and making a greater impact in areas like weather forecast, urban and transport planning, security and biodiversity protection.
India and European Union Sign Agreement
- India and the European Union (EU) have signed an agreement on cooperation in hi-tech areas such as climate modelling and quantum technologies on 21 November 2022.
- The agreement aims to facilitate collaboration on high performance computing applications using Indian and European supercomputers in areas such as bio-molecular medicines, Covid-19 therapeutics, mitigating climate change, predicting natural disasters and quantum computing.
- The India-EU TTC (Trade and Technology Council) was established between India and the European Union during the visit of the European Union Commission President Ursula von der Leyen on 25 April 2022 at New Delhi.
- This is the first such trade and technology council set up by India with any of its partners.
- India is the second country after the United States of America with which the European Union has signed such an agreement.
NABARD Sanctions Rs 220.50 Crore to Odisha
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned 57 flood protection projects and 1 rural bridge amounting to Rs 220.50 crore for Odisha under the Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF).
- The project would be implemented by the Department of Water Resources (DOWR- Major & Medium), Government of Odisha.
- The project will help 2 credit-starved districts of Kendrapara and Nuapada, 4 aspirational districts of Bolangir, Kalahandi, Nuapada and Rayagada.
- The proposal also involves the construction of a Box Cell bridge over Sankha creek in the Jagatsinghpur district.
Karnataka Bank Launches CASA Campaign
- Karnataka Bank has launched the CASA (current account savings account) campaign of 2022-2023 for 100 days towards the 100th year of its existence.
- Under this nationwide campaign starting from 15 November 2022 to 24 March 2023, the Bank intends to open more than 3.65 lakhs Current and Savings accounts by the active involvement of all of its workforce in all 883 branches, across India.
- With this campaign, the Bank aims to introduce its attractive digitally powered savings account products to its prospective customers.
- As a part of the project ‘KBL-VIKAAS’ and Digital transformation initiatives, the Bank has envisioned making available self-initiated digital onboarding platforms to the prospective customers of the Bank.
Maharashtra to Get Loan from ADB
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has given in-principle approval for a $400-million loan to the Maharashtra government to bring in 5,000 electric buses.
- He was participating in a discussion at the India pavilion at the COP27 international climate conference on decarbonising India’s transport sector using e-mobility.
- Maharashtra would follow the model as the public sector, CESL (Convergence Energy Services Ltd) did for the recently-concluded tender for procuring 5,450 e-buses.
- The buses would be run by the winning bidder’s drivers, but the ticketing and collection would be done by the transport undertaking.
6th ATP Finals Title
- The Serbian Novak Djokovic won his sixth ATP finals title at Turin, Italy by defeating the Norwegian player Casper Rudd in the finals played on 20 November 2022.
- The ATP finals marks the end of the ATP calendar for the year 2022.
- With this win Djokovic equalled the record of Swiss great Roger Federer of 6th ATP finals titles.
- Carlos Alcaraz of Spain ended the season as the youngest ranked ATP number one player.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Member of the International Committee for Weights and Measures (CIPM)
Professor Venu Gopal Achanta, Director, CSIR-National Physical Laboratory (CSIR-NPL), New Delhi, has been elected as a member of the International Committee for Weights and Measures (CIPM).
The 27th General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) meeting was held on 15-18 November, 2022 at Paris, France.
Achanta is among the 18 members elected from different countries and he is the 7th Indian to be elected to the CIPM.
The CIPM is a supreme international committee which functions under the authority of the General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM).
- It is responsible for development and implementation of International Systems of Unites, universally abbreviated as SI.
President of Kazakhstan
- President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev of Kazakhstan has been re-elected as the President of Kazakhstan.
- According to the Kazakhstan Election Commission, he has won 81.31% of the votes polled in the Presidential election held on 20 November 2022.
- Kassym-Jomart Tokayev became the President of Kazakhstan on 29 March 2019 after the resignation of the first President of Kazakhstan Nur Sultan Nazarbayev.
Exercise Naseem Al Bahr-2022
The 13th edition of bilateral exercise between the Indian and the Royal Oman navies, Naseem Al Bahr-2022, conducted on the coast of Oman on 20 November 2022.
The exercise is being conducted in two phases, the Harbour Phase and the Sea Phase.
Naseem Al Bahr naval exercise was started in 1993. The last edition was conducted Goa in 2019.
- The Indian Navy’s guided missile frigate Trikand and Offshore Patrol Vessel Sumitra, with their integral helicopters and the maritime patrol aircraft, Dornier are participating in the exercise.
- The exercise facilitates operational-level interaction between the two navies to foster mutual cooperation and enhance good order at sea.
- The exercise also aims to strengthen the ancient maritime and cultural linkages between India and Oman.
World Television Day
World Television Day is observed every year on the 21 November.
The UN General Assembly decided to name November 21 World Television Day, not to celebrate the object itself, but the symbol for communication and globalization in the contemporary world that it represents.
In 1927, a 21-year-old inventor by the name of Philo Taylor Farnsworth invented the world’s first electronic television.
- UN leaders recognized that television could bring attention to conflicts, raise awareness of threats to peace and security and sharpen focus on social and economic issues.
Word of the Year by Cambridge Dictionary
“Homer” has been named the Cambridge Dictionary’s word of the year for 2022.
It was said to be influenced by the Wordle, a Wordle-like word game that has become immensely popular worldwide.
When “homer” was a possible response in the word game Wordle, it was searched almost 75,000 times during the first week of May 2022.
“Homer” is a colloquial American English term for a baseball “home run” in the context of the game.