DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 22-09-2022
Union Cabinet Approves Changes to Semiconductor PLI Scheme
- The Union Cabinet on 21 September 2022, cleared significant changes to the production-linked incentive (PLI) scheme for the manufacturing of semiconductors.
- The PLI scheme for the development of the semiconductors and display manufacturing ecosystem in India was announced by the Centre in December 2021 with an outlay of Rs 76,000 crore.
- The Programme aims to provide attractive incentive support to companies that are engaged in Silicon Semiconductor Fabs, Display Fabs, etc.
Oldest Indian to Cross North Channel
- Veteran Assamese swimmer, Elvis Ali Hazarika has become the first from the North East to cross the North Channel.
- Elvis Ali Hazarika also became the oldest Indian swimmer to swim across the North Channel.
- The strait between north-eastern Northern Ireland and south-western Scotland is the North Channel.
- It begins north of the Isle of Man, where the Irish Sea ends and runs north-west into the Atlantic Ocean.
Web Portal to Address Public Grievances
Manipur Chief Minister Shri N Biren Singh has launched a web portal named CM Da Haisi’ (Let’s Inform the CM) in Imphal, Manipur.
It is to enable people to redress their grievances, and provide a platform to raise corruption-related issue
3 phone numbers, including 2 meant for the anti-corruption cell, have been made available on the portal ‘CM da Haisi’.
- The public can raise their grievances in the web portal by logging on to cmdahaisi.mn.gov.in and the complainants can also check the status of their complaints.
- It will enable fast redressal of public grievances and also provide a platform to raise corruption-related issues.
- This will further enable the government to bring transparency and accountability in governance and delivery of public services.
National Logistics Policy (NLP)
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched National Logistics Policy (NLP) in New Delhi.
The need for a National Logistics Policy was felt because of the high logistics costs in India as compared to other developed countries.
- Unified Logistics Interface Platform (ULIP) is an important initiative under the National Logistics Policy (NLP).
- ULIP will bring all the digital services related to the transportation sector into a single portal.
- Under the policy, a new digital platform is Ease of Logistics Services (E-Logs).
- The National Logistics Policy will give a boost to the GatiShakti National Master Plan.
Kazakhstan Renames Capital
- The president of Kazakhstan Mr. Kassym-Jomart Tokayev signed constitutional amendments that extended the presidential term to 7 years from 5 years and officially changed the name of the capital Nur Sultan to Astana.
- The changes are among political and economic reforms that President has called for after violent protests in January 2022, killing more than 200 people.
- The Amendment bar any president from running for a second term in office.
- Astana became the capital of Kazakhstan in 1997 when Nazarbayev, led the country for 3 decades under the Soviet Union.
ADB Lowers India’s Growth Forecast to 7%
The Asian Development Bank lowered its growth forecast for India for 2022-23 to 7% from 7.2% estimated in July.
It also lowered India's growth estimate for 2023-24 to 7.2% from 7.8%.
- The data was given in the Asian Development Outlook 2022.
Union Bank of India Launches Digitization of Kisan Credit Card
Union Bank of India (UBI) launched an Industry-first, farmer-focused end-to-end digitization of the Kisan Credit Card (KCC) product as part of the flagship digital transformation project ‘Sambhav’.
It is to digitize the KCC lending process, making it more efficient and farmer-friendly.
Digitization of KCC is a fintech initiative of UBI in collaboration with Reserve Bank Innovation Hub (RBIH) aimed at overcoming the challenges faced by farmers like in-person visits to a bank branch, submission of land ownership and other documents and high turnaround time in getting the KCC.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Prime Minister of Senegal
Senegalese President Mr. Macky Sall reinstated the post of Prime Minister (PM) appointing a former economy minister Mr Amadou Ba as the PM of Senegal.
The president appointed a new government that included 38 ministers.
He served as the Foreign Minister of Senegal from 2019 to 2020.
He was Minister of Finance and Economy from 2013 to 2019.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
ISRO Successfully Tests Hybrid Motor
- The Indian Space Agency ISRO has successfully tested a hybrid motor.
- The 30 kN hybrid motor tested at ISRO Propulsion Complex (IPRC), Mahendragiri in Tamil Nadu supported by Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre on 20 September 2022.
- The motor used Hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene (HTPB) as fuel and liquid oxygen (LOX) as the oxidizer, which is different from the traditionally used solid-solid or liquid-liquid combinations by ISRO.
- It is a hybrid motor which is a combination of solid fuel and liquid oxidizer.
World Alzheimer’s Day
- World Alzheimer’s Day is celebrated every year on 21 September.
- It is to increase public awareness of the stigma associated with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias.
- To commemorate tenth anniversary, World Alzheimer’s Day was established at the start of ADI’s annual conference in Edinburgh on 21 September 1994.
- Alzheimer’s is a progressive illness, meaning that over many years the symptoms of dementia gradually get worse.
- Alzheimer’s disease causes modest memory loss in its early stages, but by the disease’s latter stages, people are unable to converse or react to their surroundings.
Popular Comedian Raju Srivastava
Comedian Raju Srivastava passed away in Delhi's All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS). He was at the age of 58.
He was a part of the Great Indian Laughter Challenge, Comedy Circus, The Kapil Sharma Show, Shaktimaan and others.
- The comedian also featured in Bollywood films like Maine Pyaar Kiya, Tezaab, Baazigar, etc.
- He was recently seen as a special guest on India’s Laughter Champion.