Daily Current Affairs 22/04/2021
Shankar School of Banking April 22 , 2021 52
Global Energy Transition Index
- In collaboration with Accentrure, World Economic Forum has released the Global Energy Transition Index.
- India has been ranked at 87 in the Global Energy Transition Index. In previous year, India’s rank was 74.
- Sweden is in the first position followed by Norway (2nd) and Denmark (3rd), while top 10 countries in the index are Western and Northern European countries.
- The index benchmarks 115 countries on the current performance of their energy systems across three dimensions — economic development and growth, environmental sustainability, and energy security and access indicators — and their readiness to transition to secure, sustainable, affordable, and inclusive energy systems.
- The remaining countries in the top 10 are Switzerland (4), Austria (5), Finland (6), the United Kingdom (7), New Zealand (8), France (9) and Iceland (10).
World Press Freedom Index, 2021
- The World Press Freedom Index is released by the French NGO – Reporters Without Borders (RSF).
- India has been ranked at 142 out of 180 countries, same as the previous year.
- The RSF report says India is one of the world’s most dangerous countries for journalists trying to do their job properly.
NASA's Mars helicopter
- NASA's Mars helicopter makes history with successful flight on the Red Planet.
- The miniature robot helicopter - Ingenuity performed a successful take-off and landing on Mars.
- This is the first powered, controlled flight by an aircraft over the surface of another planet.
CAG GC Murmu chosen as external auditor by OPCW
- India's Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) GC Murmu has been chosen as the external auditor by a prestigious intergovernmental organisation working for the elimination of chemical weapons.
- The Hague-based Conference of State Parties of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) selected the CAG as its external auditor for a three-year term starting 2021.
- The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons is an intergovernmental organisation and the implementing body for the Chemical Weapons Convention.
- This organisation entered into force on 29 April 1997 with 193 member states.
National Civil Services Day
- Every year April 21 is marked as National Civil Service Day.
- It is a day to appreciate the tremendous work done by officers engaged in public administration, in various departments of the central and state governments.
- The Government of India chose April 21 as the National Civil Service Day as on this day the country's first home minister, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel addressed the newly appointed Administrative Services Officers in 1947.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, had referred to the administrative officers as the ''steel frame of India''.
Poet Sankha Ghosh
- Eminent Bengali poet Sankha Ghosh passed away at the age of 89 on 21st April, 2021.
- He was born on February 5, 1932 in Chandpur, Bengal Presidency (erstwhile).
- He was awarded the Government of India’s Jnanpith Award and Padma Bhushan.
Ex-RBI Governor Narasimham
- The former Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor Maidavolu Narasimham died in Hyderabad at the age of 94 on 20th April, 2021.
- Narasimham was known for being the chair of two high-powered committees on banking and financial sector reforms
- He became the Executive Director in World Bank and also worked in International Monetary Fund.
- He was also called as the Father of Banking Reforms in India.