DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 20-09-2022
India launches ‘Urban Wastewater Scenario in India’
At the World Water Congress and Exhibition in Copenhagen in 2022, India and Denmark released a joint whitepaper titled “Urban Wastewater Scenario in India.”
Gajendra Singh Shekhawat of Jal Shakti, Lea Wermelin of Denmark’s Ministry of the Environment and Flemming Moller Mortensen of Denmark’s Ministry of Development Cooperation organized the “Urban Wastewater Scenario in India.”
By 2024, India will invest more than 140 billion dollars in the water industry.
- In the “Urban Wastewater Scenario in India,” at least 10% of the money is given by the community in each scheme, ensuring community ownership and engagement.
India’s First Forest University
- The first Forest University will be established in India.
- The Telangana Assembly adopted the Forestry Universities (UoF) Act 2022. It is the first of its type in India, the University of Forestry (UoF).
- After China and Russia, it will be the third university of forestry in the world.
- The Forestry College and Research Institute (FCRI) in Hyderabad will be expanded, according to the Telangana government.
- The FCRI will be converted into a full-fledged University.
TSSC Launches Centre of Excellence
- Telecom Sector Skill Council (TSSC), a skill development institution for the telecom industry, has launched a centre of excellence with Huawei Technologies at NIT Patna for capacity building.
- The centre which will come up under the aegis of ministry of skill development and entrepreneurship.
- It is to support roles in information and communications technology, cyber security, electronics and communication including technical, services and allied fields.
- The MoU, which has been signed for a period of five years is aimed at skilling, reskilling, upskilling of aspiring students to enhance their employability through training in innovative technologies.
Nanjarayan Tank as 17th Bird Sanctuary
- The Tamil Nadu government issued an order to set up a bird sanctuary at Nanjarayan Tank in Tiruppur district.
- The Nanjarayan Tank will be made as ‘Nanjarayan Birds Sanctuary’ under Wildlife (Protection) Act.
- It will be the 17th bird sanctuary in Tamil Nadu which covers 125.86.5 hectares of land and is located near Neruperichal and Sarkar Periyapalayam villages of Tiruppur North and Uthukuli taluks in Tiruppur district.
- In December 2021, the MK Stalin-led DMK Govt declared the Kazhuveli wetland located near Villupuram as the ‘Kazhuveli Birds Sanctuary’.
Sri Lanka’s Largest Bilateral Lender
- India has emerged as the largest bilateral lender for Sri Lanka, overtaking China. India has provided a total of 968 million US dollars in loans to the island nation in four months of 2022.
- In the past five years from 2017-2021, China has been the largest bilateral lender to Sri Lanka.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) has been the largest multilateral lender in the past five years and disbursed funds amounting to 610 million dollars in 2021.
Global Clean Energy Action Forum
Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh will lead a joint ministerial delegation to the US to participate in the Global Clean Energy Action Forum.
Dr. Singh will leave for the US on 19 September 2022.
- He will also participate in the joint convening of Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM 13) and Mission Innovation (MI-7) from 21 September to 23 September 2022 in Pennsylvania, US.
Reliance General Insurance Partners with Paytm
- Reliance General Insurance Firm Ltd., an India-based private insurance company has partnered with Paytm, India’s leading digital payments and financial services company.
- It is to provide the public with Reliance Health Gain Policy, a customizable health insurance solution.
- It will also enhance insurance penetration in the country with greater accessibility.
- The health insurance policies are offered in three distinct plans – Plus, Power and Prime with an assortment of features to allow for policy customization for each consumer.
- The policy includes 38 features such as Double Cover, which provides twice the amount of sum insured.
- Reliance Health Gain Policy was launched in May 2022.
World Wrestling Championship 2022
- Indian wrestling icon Bajrang Punia bagged the bronze medal at the World Wrestling Championships 2022 in Serbia, Belgrade.
- With this, Bajrang became the first Indian to win 4 medals at the world wrestling championships.
- He defeated Puerto Rico’s Sebastian Rivera 11-9 to secure the medal.
- Sunil Chhetri’s Bengaluru FC defeated Mumbai City FC 2-1 in the 131st Durand Cup final at the Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan in Kolkata.
- Bengaluru won the title. Goals from Siva Sakthi in the 10th minute and Alan Costa in the 61st made the win.
RANKS, INDICES & REPORTS
Best Workplaces in Asia 2022
- Federal Bank was placed 63rd on Great Place to Work’s list of the Best Workplaces in Asia 2022.
- It is the only bank in India to be included the Best Workplace in Asia 2022.
- The ranking is based on more than one million survey responses from Asia and West Asia, representing the experiences of more than 4.7 million employees in the area.
- It is based on survey data that evaluated employee perceptions of trust, innovation, business values and leadership.
- According to Great Place to Work India, 88% of employees in the best workplaces in Asia had a favorable employee experience on average.
- Only 55% of workers in the general worldwide workforce have a comparable pleasant experience.
AWARDS & PRIZES
INSPIRE Awards to 60 Startups
- Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh awarded INSPIRE Awards to 60 entrepreneurs and financial assistance to 53,021 students on behalf of the Ministry of Science and Technology.
- The prize is sponsored by the Government of India’s Department of Science and Technology (DST) and these innovators will receive full incubation assistance throughout their entrepreneurial journey.
- In 2020-21, the annual INSPIRE Awards MANAK (Million Minds Augmenting National Aspiration and Knowledge) competition drew an unprecedented 6.53 lakh ideas and inventions from all states and UTs.
- The scheme attained an unprecedented level of inclusivity by representing the ideas and innovations of 702 districts (96%), including 123 out of 124 aspirational districts, 51% representation from girls, 84% participation from schools in rural areas of the country and 71% of schools run by State or UT Governments.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Secretary of Ex-Servicemen Welfare Ministry of Defence
- Vijoy Kumar Singh assumed charge as Secretary, Ex-Servicemen Welfare Ministry of Defence on September 2022.
- He is a 1990 batch IAS officer of Punjab cadre, who has an experience of more than 32 years in administration.
- He recently served as Special Secretary in Ministry of Textiles.
- Prior to this appointment, he had served as Joint Secretary in Department of Personnel and Training.
CMD of ITPO
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) approved the appointment of IAS Officer Mr. BVR Subrahmanyam as the new Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of the India Trade Promotion Organization (ITPO).
He will replace LC Goyal.
Subrahmanyam is a 1987 batch Indian Administrative Services (IAS) officer of the Chhattisgarh cadre.
- He worked in the PMO between 2004–2008 and March 2012–March 2015, serving under Prime Minister Shri Manmohan Singh and Shri Narendra Modi.