DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 17-09-2022
MoU Between Indian Navy and Amity University
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was exchanged between the Indian Navy and Amity University Uttar Pradesh (AUUP).
- The MoU has been concluded to establish academic linkages between the Indian Navy and Amity University.
- Under this MoU, Amity University will conduct customised courses for the Indian Navy in domains such as 5G Technology, Control System Integration, AI, Blockchain, etc.
- These courses will ensure better placements of Naval personnel upon superannuation from Service.
India's First Lithium Cell Manufacturing Plant
- Union Minister of State for Electronics and Information Technology Rajeev Chandrasekhar launched the pre-production run of India's first Lithium cell manufacturing facility in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh.
- This state-of-the-art facility has been set up by the Chennai based Munoth Industries Limited with an outlay of Rs 165 crore.
- The installed capacity of the plant at present is 270 Mwh and can produce 20,000 cells of 10Ah capacity.
- These cells are used in power bank and this capacity is around 60 per cent of India’s present requirement.
- Cells for other consumer electronics like mobile phones, hearable and wearable devices will also be produced.
Jharkhand Government Raises OBC Reservations
- Jharkhand Government agreed to the proposal for granting 77 percent reservation in state government jobs for the SC, ST, Backward Classes, and OBC and further economically weaker sections.
- The chief minister of Jharkhand Hemant Soren hiked the OBC reservation to 27 percent which was earlier 14 percent.
- The Jharkhand Government also accepted the proposal to use the 1932 land records to determine those who are local inhabitants.
India’s First ‘Smart City’ with ‘Smart Addresses’
- Indore will create history by implementing a fully digital addressing system, making it the first city in India to do so.
- The smart city advanced significantly when a memorandum of understanding was signed with the firm Pataa Navigations.
- Pataa has developed patented technology and is working with the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) to develop a digital addressing system for the nation.
- Pataa will also geotag MP Tourism’s all tourist destinations and integrate them with websites.
- All significant public assets including bus stops, light poles, public restrooms and bus stops should have digital address numbers pasted on them.
A three-day international conference ANGAN 2022 is organized by Indo-Swiss Building Energy Efficiency Project (BEEP) in collaboration with Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
ANGAN stands for Augmenting Nature by Green Affordable New-habitat.
It is organized based on the theme “Making the Zero-Carbon Transition in Buildings”.
It is the second edition of the Augmenting Nature by Green Affordable New-habitat.
- The purpose of this conference is to promote a healthy ecosystem as mentioned at the COP26 by Prime Minister Modi on LiFE (Lifestyle and Environment) and Panchamrit, which aims to make India Net Zero by 2070.
- Indo-Swiss Building Energy Efficiency Project (BEEP) is a collaborative project between the Indian Government and the Swiss Government.
Seventh Indian Company to Cross Rs 5 trillion Market Capitalization
India’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) crossed Rs 5-trillion-mark in market capitalisation for the first time, as the shares of the bank hit a record high of Rs 574.65 and 574.7 per share.
SBI became the third lender and seventh Indian company to cross the Rs 5 trillion Market Cap.
Tt has become the third bank in the country to cross the market cap of Rs 5 trillion after HDFC Bank and ICICI Bank.
- HDFC Bank, India’s largest private bank has a market cap of Rs 8.48 trillion, followed by ICICI Bank, which has a market cap of Rs. 6.33 trillion.
Karnataka Bank becomes part of Khajane-II
Karnataka Bank Ltd has become part of the Karnataka Government’s integrated financial management system (IFMS) Khajane-II (K2) for implementing a single nodal agency (SNA) account system for Centrally-sponsored schemes.
The Bank will help in implementing various sponsored schemes by the Government for the disbursement of cash benefits to the targeted beneficiaries via direct credit to their bank accounts in a safe, secure and speedier manner.
- The bank through its technology and digital-led solutions, will continue to engage and partner with the Government of Karnataka for implementing its various initiatives towards the welfare of the public.
AWARDS & PRIZES
French Civilian Award
- Prominent Indian Scientist and industrialist Dr Swati Piramal has been conferred France's top civilian honour for her contributions in the fields of business and industry, science, medicine and towards strengthening Indo-French ties.
- Created in 1802 by Napoleon Bonaparte, ‘Knight of the Legion of Honour’ is the highest civilian award given by the French Republic for outstanding service to France.
- In 2006, she was also awarded the Knight of the Order of Merit, France’s second highest civilian honour.
- Piramal is the vice-chairperson of the Mumbai-headquartered Piramal Group, a business conglomerate with interests in pharmaceuticals, financial services, real estate and glass packaging.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
CEO of CSB Bank
- CSB Bank Limited appointed Pralay Mondal as the managing director and chief executive officer of the bank for a period of three years which is effective from 15 September 2022.
- Prior to joining CSB Bank, Mondal was Executive Director and Head, Retail Banking at Axis Bank.
- Mondal joined CSB Bank as president, retail, SME, operations and IT on 23 September 2020 and was appointed as the deputy MD with effect from 17 February.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Book Titled ‘Ambedkar and Modi’
A book titled ‘Ambedkar and Modi: Reformer’s Ideas Performer’s Implementation’ was released by former President Ram Nath Kovind in New Delhi.
The book illustrates life, work and achievements of Dr. B. R Ambedkar.
The book has been compiled by Bluekraft Digital Foundation.
- A foreword written by Rajya Sabha MP Ilaiyaraaja offers a valuable insight of the works of Dr. Ambedkar.
World Ozone Day
- World Ozone Day is celebrated every year on 16 September.
- It is to spread awareness among people about the depletion of the Ozone Layer and find possible solutions to preserve it.
- On this day, people from all over the world hold talks and seminars on the ozone layer.
- The theme for the year 2022 is ‘Montreal Protocol@35: global cooperation protecting life on earth’.
- It was in 1994 when the UN General Assembly declared 16 September as the International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer or World Ozone Day.