DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 16-11-2023
One Station One Product Scheme
· The “One Station One Product” initiative by the Indian Railways, which provides uniquely designed sale outlets for locals to sell indigenous products, is now operational at 1,037 stations nationwide.
· It was launched with a vision to promote ‘Vocal for Local’.
· This scheme is designed by the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad.
· It aims to build each railway station as a promotional hub and showcasing local and indigenous manufacturing products.
· This scheme is providing welfare of local artisans, potters, weavers, tribals etc.
· The eligible applicant will be allotted a temporary stall or kiosk for a period of 15 days on deposition of Rs 1,000 with Railways.
· The zonal railways will identify the stations, eligible products and the vendors.
Food Safety Compliance Portal in 4 Regional Languages
· Food safety regulator Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has launched the Food Safety Compliance System (FOSCOS) portal in four regional languages besides Hindi and English to improve users' experience and increase accessibility.
· The Food Safety Compliance System portal is now available in Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu and Marathi apart from Hindi and English.
· In this context, an official statement said that the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is planning to launch this portal in Kannada, Punjabi, Malayalam, Assamese, Bengali and Odia.
· FSSAI, an independent statutory body formed under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (FSS Act), operates under the administrative oversight of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
Supply Chain Resilience Agreement
· Shri Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, and Textiles, attended the third in-person IPEF Ministerial meeting.
· The Union Minister of India and the Ministers of the other IPEF partner nations signed the first-ever IPEF Supply Chain Resilience Agreement during this Ministerial meeting.
· The US, India and twelve other IPEF members have signed a Supply Chain Resilience Agreement.
· During the ministerial conference of the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework for Prosperity (IPEF), the agreement was signed in San Francisco.
· The network would handle emergency issues and assist partners in seeking assistance during a supply chain disruption.
· It will also facilitate information sharing and collaboration among IPEF partners during a crisis, allowing for a faster response that minimizes negative economic effects.
· IPEF supply networks should become more strong, resilient, and well-integrated as a result of the Supply Chain Resilience Agreement.
United Kingdom to Add India to its List of Safe Countries
· The United Kingdom (UK) has decided to include India in its list of safe states.
· Apart from India, Georgia has also been included in the list of safe states of the UK.
· Other nations deemed safe by the UK include Albania, Switzerland along with European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) states.
· This decision was announced by the UK Home Office to streamline immigration procedures and enhance border control measures.
· This move is expected to expedite the repatriation process for individuals who have entered the UK illegally from India, aligning with the UK's efforts to enhance border security.
Punjab National Bank Launches Digital Gold Loan
· Public sector bank Punjab National Bank (PNB) launched the PNB Digital Gold Loan scheme.
· The digital lending solution was introduced during the bank's Digital Mahotsav event.
· The aim is to provide hassle-free credit to customers to quickly meet their personal as well as agriculture credit requirements by using gold jewellery and/or ornaments as collaterals.
· The PNB Digital Gold Loan scheme allows individuals to borrow amounts ranging from Rs 25,000 to Rs 25 lakh for personal needs.
· Additionally, the loan is available for supporting agriculture or allied activities.
· Eligible borrowers can avail loans ranging from a minimum of Rs 10,000 to a maximum of Rs 2 lakh for agricultural purposes.
TATA AIG General Insurance Partners with Air India
· Tata AIG General Insurance has partnered with Air India to offer travel insurance to both domestic and international travellers.
· Passengers can purchase comprehensive coverage while booking their flights through Air India's various platforms.
· The insurance covers are tailored to international destinations, providing a wide range of options for travellers.
· This partnership aims to enhance the travel experience and ensure the safety of passengers.
AWARDS & PRIZES
CFDA Fashion Icon Award
· Serena Williams, popularly known as the G.O.A.T in the world of sports, has been honored with the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) Fashion Icon Award at the 2023 CFDA Fashion Awards.
· She became the first athlete to receive this prestigious award.
· The award was presented to her by Kim Kardashian, a CFDA honoree last year.
· 2023 CFDA Fashion Awards presented by Amazon Fashion.
· The honor puts Serena Williams in the group of previous CFDA Fashion Icon Award winners like Zendaya, Naomi Campbell, Beyoncé and Rihanna.
· Williams has consistently made bold fashion trends on and off the tennis court throughout her illustrious 27-year professional career.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
New Foreign Minister of Britain
· David Cameron was appointed Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs.
· He was previously Prime Minister from May 2010 until July 2016.
· David led a Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government from 2010 until 2015 and continued as Prime Minister from May 2015 leading a Conservative government.
· He was the Conservative MP for Witney in West Oxfordshire from 2001 to 2016.
· Before being elected as an MP, David worked for the Conservative Party Research Department.
'Mika' Becomes World's First AI Human-Like Robot CEO
· Dictador, a Colombian spirit brand based in Cartagena, has gained attention for appointing Mika as its Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
· Mika is a humanoid robot, and Dictador has declared it the world's first robotic CEO.
· Mika is a collaborative research project between Hanson Robotics and Dictador.
· Mika has been specifically customized to embody and represent the values of the Dictador brand.
· Hanson Robotics, the creator of Mika, is also known for developing Sophia, another well-known humanoid robot.
· In 2016, Hanson Robotics unveiled Mika's sister, Sophia, marking a significant development in the field of humanoid robotics.
· Dictador is identified as a Colombian rum brand.
10th ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus
· Defence Minister Rajnath Singh is set to attend the 10th ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus (ADMM Plus) in Jakarta, Indonesia, from 16 November to 17 November by the Ministry of Defence.
· The Defence Minister is scheduled to address the forum on the first day of the meeting, focusing on regional and international security issues.
· This indicates the significance of the gathering in addressing pressing challenges and fostering collaboration among the nations involved.
· These sessions will be dedicated to addressing and discussing various aspects of defence cooperation.
Subrata Roy, Founder and Chairman of Sahara Group
· Subrata Roy, founder and chairman of Sahara Group, died at the age of 75 in a hospital in Mumbai.
· Subrata Roy, born in 1948 in Araria, Bihar, started Sahara India Parivar in 1978.
· He had great influence in various fields like finance, real estate and media.
· Saharasri ji was an inspirational leader and a visionary.
First Woman to Skydive from Near Mt Everest
· Indian skydiver Shital Mahajan jumped off a helicopter from the height of 21,500 ft in front of the world's highest peak, Mt Everest.
· She became the first woman to do so.
· Mahajan landed at Kalapatthar peak at an altitude 17,444ft.
· Mahajan is a well-known Indian skydiver who holds several skydiving records and is the recipient of the fourth highest civilian award, the Padma Shri in 2001.