DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 04-07-2022
Digital India Week 2022
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Digital India Week 2022 in Gandhinagar in Gujarat.
During the programme, he will launch multiple digital initiatives aimed at enhancing the accessibility of technology, streamlining service delivery to ensure ease of living and giving a boost to startups.
- The theme for Digital India Week is ‘Catalyzing New India’s Techade’.
- Mr Modi will launch ‘Digital India Bhashini’ which will enable easy access to the internet and digital services in Indian languages, including voice-based access, and help the creation of content in Indian languages.
- Prime Minister will also launch ‘Digital India GENESIS’ - a National Deep-tech Startup Platform, to discover, support, grow and make successful startups in Tier-II and Tier-III cities of India with an outlay of 750 crore rupees.
AAI and Government of Uttar Pradesh
Airports Authority of India (AAI) signed an Operation & Management agreement for operationalization of five airports owned by the Government of Uttar Pradesh for a period of 30 years.
These five airports are Aligarh, Azamgarh, Chitrakoot, Muirpur and Shravasti.
- As per the agreement, AAI will operate and manage the airports and provide all necessary services.
- Communication Navigation Surveillance/Air Traffic Management (CNS/ATM) services will also be provided by AAI, for which State Government will enter into a separate agreement.
MSDE Launches DBT Scheme
The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) announced that National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme (NAPS) will be a part of Direct Beneficiary Transfer (DBT) scheme, providing direct government benefits to all apprentices.
With the launch of the DBT scheme, the government will directly transfer its contribution to bank accounts of apprentices through National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), 25% of the stipend payable up to Rs. 1500 per month.
- National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme (NAPS) was launched on August 19, 2016, to promote apprenticeship training in the country and to provide financial support to establishments undertaking apprenticeship.
Rajasthan Signs MoU with NTPC
NTPC Renewable Energy Limited (NTPC REL), a wholly-owned subsidiary of NTPC, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Government of Rajasthan for the development of a 10 GW (10,000 MW) Ultra Mega Renewable Energy Power Park (UMREPP) in Rajasthan.
The company has set a target of 60 GW of Renewable energy capacity by 2032.
- Besides, NTPC REL is developing a UMREPP of 4.75 GW capacity in Rann of Kutch, Gujarat.
- The total installed capacity of NTPC is 69,134 MW including 23 coal-based, seven gas-based, one Hydro and 19 renewable energy projects.
- Under the joint venture, NTPC has nine coal-based, four gas-based, eight hydro and five renewable energy projects.
Journalist Welfare Scheme
The Central Government has approved a proposal of the Journalist Welfare Scheme Committee to provide financial relief to the families of 35 journalists who have lost their lives.
The Journalist Welfare Scheme, JWS Committee headed by Secretary, Information and Broadcasting Ministry, Apurva Chandra also recommended assistance to two journalists suffering from permanent disability and to five journalists for their medical treatment of major ailments as per the JWS guidelines.
- The families will be provided with the assistance of up to five lakh rupees.
- The committee approved total assistance of one crore and 81 lakh rupees during the meeting.
‘Naari Ko Naman’ Scheme
The Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh Shri Jai Ram Thakur launched Naari Ko Naman’s scheme at the Government College Auditorium in Dharamshala in Kangra district, Himachal Pradesh.
- It aims to provide 50 percent concession to the women passengers in fares in Himachal Road Transport Corporation (HRTC) buses.
- Also, the government will sanction 25 new posts of women drivers in the ‘Ride with Pride’ government taxi service, an initiative to ferry women passengers and senior citizens.
- Seema Thakur is the first female driver in Himachal Pradesh.
Axis Financial Institution Partners with EazyDiner
Axis Financial institution has partnered with EazyDiner, a table reservation, food discovery and restaurant payment platform and have launched Dining Delights, an eating experience program for the bank’s customers.
The program will offer benefits such as the option to choose from over 10,000 premium restaurants across India and Dubai, instant confirmation on table reservations and offers on dining reservations made through the EazyDiner app.
- It is aligned to serve a rising variety of prospects who need alternatives, selection and comfort.
ICICI Direct Launches a Learning App iLearn
ICICI Securities (I-Sec) has launched ‘ICICI direct iLearn’, a learning app for customers to easily access content curated around several financial products and stock market topics.
- It is to provide investors with well-researched and simplified content curated by experts to help make informed investment decisions.
- It will also familiarize investors with the knowledge of financial or investment tools by including both standard and contemporary content catering to the needs of beginners as well as evolved investors.
- The app currently hosts more than 550 content pieces across various sections.
Jasprit Bumrah Creates World Record
Stand In India captain Jasprit Bumrah smashed Stuart Broad for 29 runs to create a world record for maximum runs in a single over in Test cricket.The Indian skipper was not out on 31 off 16 balls with four boundaries and two sixes.
With this, he has surpassed legendary West Indies batter Brian Lara, who hit South Africa's Robin Peterson for 28 in an over in 2003.
- He achieved this record during the fifth and final test against England at Edgbaston in Birmingham.
First Player to Win in All Four Grand Slams
- Novak Djokovic became the first player in history to win 80 matches at all four Grand Slams on Centre Court, defeating Kwon Soon-woo 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.
- Novak, world number one tennis player has established history by winning his 80th match at Wimbledon.
- The six-time winner is the only male player in the Open Era to win 80 or more matches at each of the four grand slams.
- A seventh triumph would tie him with Pete Sampras’ record and place him only one title behind Roger Federer as the second-most successful male singles player in the history of the oldest grand slam.
AWARDS & PRIZES
Michelle Poonawalla, well known artist, businesswoman and philanthropist, received the coveted Shiromani Award from the hands of Mr. G. P. Hinduja, the co-chairman of Hinduja Group at NRI World Summit 2022, United Kingdom.
She has been awarded for her contribution to the field of Art.
- The Shiromani Award was instituted in 1977.
- Shiromani Award was also awarded to Shri Sadhu Bhramvihari, Lord Rami Ranger, Rita Hinduja Chhabria, Dr. Kamel Hothi OBE and Falguni Shane Peacock.
CII Quality Ratna Award 2021
Happiest Minds Technologies’ founder and executive chairman, Ashok Soota has received the CII Quality Ratna Award 2021.
The 2019 CII Quality Ratna Award was established to honor those who have distinguished themselves through extraordinary leadership, contributions and dedication to India’s quality movement.
- Mr. Soota’s substantial contribution to enhancing the competitiveness of the Indian industry through quality Initiatives, the CII Awards Committee unanimously decided to present him with the 2021 Award.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
President of FATF
Indian origin T Raja Kumar has taken over as President of Financial Action Task Force (FATF) for a period of two years, the world's anti-terrorism financing agency.
Raja Kumar will focus on enhancing the effectiveness of global anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing measures, improving asset recovery and other initiatives.
- He has more than 35 years of leadership and operational experience in Singapore’s home ministry and police force.
- Raja Kumar succeeds Dr Marcus Pleyer. FATF is a global watchdog tasked with combatting money laundering and terrorist financing.
World Sports Journalists Day
World Sports Journalists Day is observed every year on 2nd July.
- The day aims to acknowledge the work of sports journalists and encourage them to do better at their work.
- Sports journalists help millions of people in the world to receive information on various sports.
- It marks the anniversary of the International Sports Press Association (AIPS), established in 1924.
International Day of Cooperatives
International Day of Cooperatives is celebrated on the first Saturday of every July.
This year the day will be celebrated on 02 July.
- The theme for the year 2022 is “Cooperatives Build a Better World”.
- This celebration aims to increase awareness about cooperatives by highlighting how the United Nations shares similar goals and objectives as the international cooperative movement.
- This day aims to acknowledge the contributions of cooperatives to resolving some of the major international issues that have drawn the attention of the United Nations.