DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 02-08-2022
Ex VINBAX 2022
The Third Edition of Vietnam-India Bilateral Army Exercise "Ex VINBAX 2022" is scheduled to be conducted at Chandimandir from August 1 to August 20, 2022.
India and Vietnam share a Comprehensive Strategic Partnership and defence cooperation is a key pillar of this partnership. Vietnam is an important partner in India’s Act East policy and the Indo-Pacific vision.
The conduct of Ex VINBAX - 2022 as a field training exercise with enhanced scope from previous editions of bilateral exercise will strengthen mutual confidence, inter-operability and enable sharing of best practices between the Indian Army and Vietnam People's Army.
- The joint exercise will also provide an opportunity to the troops of both the Contingents to learn about the social and cultural heritage of each other.
- Indian Army is being represented by troops from the 105 Engineer Regiment.
West Bengal to Get 7 New Districts
Mamata Banerjee, the chief minister of West Bengal announced that the state will get 7 new districts in the state to simplify administrative operations.
- Earlier there were 23 districts in Bengal. With this, the total number of districts in West Bengal has now gone up to 30.
- The seven new districts include Sunderban, Ichhamati, Ranaghat, Bishnupur, Jangipur, Behrampur and one more district will be named in Basirhat.
IISc and Indian Navy Ink Pact to Boost Self-Reliance
- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and the Indian navy have signed an MoU to collaborate on aviation research and development.
- Under this, IISc would aid navy to ramp up self-reliance efforts.
- The areas of collaboration for joint research include aerospace/aeronautical engineering, design and education technology.
- Other key specialisation includes propulsion and propulsion systems, steel technology, metallurgy and material science and corrosion science, systems and controls, instrumentation and sensors, etc.
Arunachal Pradesh Inks Tripartite Pact
- The Arunachal Pradesh government inked a tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with NITI Aayog and an organisation for a large-scale transformation in school education.
- It is a three-year partnership (2022 – 2025) agreement focusing on the enhancement of the learning outcome of students across 3,000 plus government schools in the state thereby by reaching out to over two lakh children.
- The agreement was signed on the second anniversary of the New Education Policy (NEP) 2020.
- The school education transformation project is under NITI Aayog’s Development Support Services for States (DSSS) initiative.
Indian And French Navies Exercise in the Atlantic
- INS Tarkash conducted a Maritime Partnership Exercise (MPX) with French Naval Ships in the North Atlantic Ocean.
- Restoration at sea was exercised between Tarkash and the French Fleet Tanker FNS Somme.
- This was followed by joint air operations with the maritime surveillance aircraft Falcon 50 participating in multiple simulated missile engagements and air defence drills.
4th India-Oman Joint Military Exercise
The 4th Edition of India-Oman Joint Military Exercise ‘AL NAJAH-IV’ begins at the Foreign Training Node of Mahajan Field Firing Range in Rajasthan.
The Indian Army will be represented by troops from the 18 Mechanised Infantry Battalion at the AL NAJAH-IV.
The Royal Army of Oman contingent will be represented by the Sultan of Oman Parachute Regiment.
- The objective of this joint military exercise is to enhance the level of defence cooperation between the Armies of India and Oman as well as the bilateral relations between the two nations.
- The exercise would focus on Counter Terrorism Operations, Regional Security Operations and Peace Keeping Operations under the United Nations charter, joint physical training schedules, tactical drills, techniques and procedures.
Weightlifter Achinta Sheuli Bags Third Gold Medal for India
- India's 20-year-old weightlifter Achinta Sheuli won gold in the men's 73kg division at the Commonwealth Games 2022.
- He lifted 143kg in snatch and 170kg in clean and jerk to top the field with total 313 kg.
- Sheuli's gold is India’s third in the 2022 Commonwealth Games and the sixth medal in total.
Hungarian Grand Prix
Max Verstappen lead at the top of the F1 Championship following his victory at the Hungarian Grand Prix.
- Mercedes Lewis Hamilton and his teammate George Russell came at the second and third positions respectively.
- Max Verstappen has won 8 races in 2022 so far.
World Champion Sebastian Vettel Announces Retirement
- Sebastian Vettel announced his retirement from Formula 1 after the end of the 2022 season.
- He is a German racing driver who competes in F1for team Aston Martin.
- His last F1 victory was the Singapore Grand Prix in 2019.
- He became the youngest to win an F1race in 2007 at the Italian Grand Prix.
Shushila Devi Bags Silver Medal in CWG 2022
In the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, Shushila Devi won a silver in women's judo 48kg final, giving India its seventh medal of the Commonwealth Games 2022.
Vijay Kumar Yadav won a bronze medal in the judo men's- 60kg final. With this win, Yadav gave India its eighth medal in Birmingham 2022.
RANKS, INDICES & REPORTS
Kerala Leads in Hosting Legislative Sessions in 2021
The PRS Legislative Research, a think tank with its headquarters in New Delhi, published the research on the operation of State Assemblies for 2021.
Kerala regained first place in 2021 with the nation’s longest House session at 61 days.
Karnataka came in second with 40 sitting days, followed by Tamil Nadu with 34.
- The guidelines for how legislatures should operate were set forth by the National Commission to Review the Working of the Constitution (2000–2002), which was presided over by former Chief Justice of India M.N. Venkatachaliah.
- The Houses of State/UT legislatures should convene for at least 50 days a year for those with fewer than 70 members like Puducherry and at least 90 days for those with more members.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
The New Delhi Police Commissioner
Sanjay Arora, director general of the ITBP and a 1988-batch IPS officer has been appointed as the next Delhi Police Commissioner.
He will replace the previous Delhi Police Commissioner Rakesh Asthana, an IPS officer from the Gujarat Cadre who retired after nearly 38 years of service.
He also served in the Border Security Force (BSF) and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF). His background is in electrical and electronics engineering, with a B.Tech.
- In August 2021, Arora was named Director General of the paramilitary Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP).
World Breastfeeding Week
- World Breastfeeding Week is celebrated every year from 01 to 07 August.
- During this week, organizations around the world hold events to promote breastfeeding and support mothers who are breastfeeding.
- In order to support and encourage breastfeeding, the World Health Organization (WHO) and United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) created a memorandum in 1990.
- Following this, the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) was established in 1991.
NBA Legend Bill Russell
- Basketball legend Bill Russell, who led the Boston Celtics to win 11 NBA championships passed away. He was at the age of 88.
- He was the league's first Black coach. A five-time Most Valuable Player (MVP), he was also outspoken on racial issues.
- During his career, Russell led team won record 11 championships the highest in NBA history.
- He had the second highest number of MVP Award after Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Michael Jordan, who won the award six times.
Former Philippine president Fidel Ramos
- Former Philippine president Fidel Ramos, who oversaw a rare period of steady growth and peace that won him the reputation as one of the country’s most effective leaders passed away. He died at the age 94.
- He served as the 12th president of the Philippines from 1992 and 1998.
- He also served as the chief of staff of the armed forces of the Philippines.