DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 28-06-2022
One Health Pilot to be Launched in Bengaluru
- Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying (DAHD), Ministry of Fisheries, Animal husbandry and Dairying, Government of India has taken an initiative to launch ‘One Health Approach’.
- DAHD in collaboration with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) as implementation partner is implementing the One-Health Framework undertaking project in the states of Karnataka and Uttarakhand.
- It would help to prevent the future zoonotic disease outbreaks, equipped with better response mechanism and management.
- It also brings stakeholders from animal, human and environment health on a common platform to address the challenges.
47th Meeting of GST Council
The 47th meeting of the GST Council will be held in Chandigarh.
The meeting will be chaired by Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
- The two-day meeting of the GST Council will be attended by Minister of State for Finance Pankaj Chaudhary, Finance Ministers of States and Union Territories and Senior officers from Union Government and State.
- Last GST Council’s meeting which was held in New Delhi had recommended to defer the decision to change the rates on textiles.
- The GST council had decided to retain the status on GST rate on textile to five per cent.
Kerala to Have Its Own Regional Red List of Birds
Kerala will have its own red list of birds as the Kerala Bird Monitoring Collective led by Kerala Agricultural University and the Bird Count India will conduct the regional red list assessment.
The assessments will be done on the basis of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) guidelines.
- It makes Kerala the first State to have a region-specific red list of birds
- According to the global IUCN red list, Kerala has 35 threatened species of birds which includes the Red-headed vulture and White-rumped vulture which are critically endangered and Steppe Eagle, Banasura Chilappan and Nilgiri Chilappan which are endangered and 11 species are vulnerable.
- The IUCN guidelines for preparing the red list have five main criteria.
Udaipur’s ‘Bird Village’ to be Declared Wetland
Menar in Udaipur district which is regarded as the “bird village” is set to be notified as Rajasthan’s new wetland.
The move is expected to help the region get the Ramsar site status under the Ramsar convention, 1971.
- The freshwater lakes of the region will be protected with the application of the Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules, 2019.
- At present, Rajasthan has two wetlands recognised as Ramsar sites namely Keoladeo Ghana in Bharatpur district and Sambhar Salt Lake in Jaipur.
India’s Largest Floating Solar Power Project
Tata Power Solar Systems Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tata Power, has commissioned India's largest floating solar power project in Kayamkulam, Kerala.
- It was constructed on a 350-acre water body, backwaters area, having an installed capacity of 101.6-Megawatt Peak (MWp).
- This project is the first one in the Floating Solar Photovoltaic (FSPV) through Power Purchase Agreement category.
- The company announced that a power purchase agreement has been signed with a PSU client, wherein the entire power generated from this plant will be used by Kerela State Electricity Board (KSEB).
Liberty General Insurance and Peerless Financial Products Distribution
Liberty General Insurance (LGI), one of the fastest-growing General Insurance companies in India recently entered into a Corporate Agency agreement with Peerless Financial Products Distribution Ltd (PFPDL).
The collaboration will enable the distribution of Liberty’s retail and commercial line of products through Peerless’ extensive network of 42 branches across India.
- The Partnership offers a wide range of health products including Liberty Complete Protect Group Policy Insurance.
- It also provides annual benefit cover if the insured is hospitalized with vector-borne diseases such as dengue fever, malaria, chikungunya, Japanese encephalitis, kala-azar, lymphatic filariasis, and Zika virus.
Bajaj Finance Partners with Worldline India
Bajaj Finance Limited, the lending arm of Bajaj Finserv Limited has partnered with Worldline, a global firm in payment services to develop point-of-sales (POS) payments acquiring solutions for its merchant network.
With this tie-up, Bajaj Finance Limited aims to enhance its relationship with both existing and new network of merchant partners.
- It will enhance by providing point-of-sale terminals and enabling acceptance of a wide range of payment instruments such as equated monthly instalments (EMI) cards, credit cards, UPI and wallets on those terminals.
SBI Ecowrap Research Report
As per the SBI Ecowrap Report, Inequality of Income in India has declined significantly since Financial Year 2017.
According to the report authored by Soumya Kanti Ghosh, group chief economic adviser, SBI India has performed well during pandemic in terms of navigating income shocks across deciles of population.
- India’s poverty ratio has also declined to 17.9 per cent in 2020-21 from 21.9 per cent in 2011-12.
U23 Asian Wrestling Championships 2022
Tokyo Olympian Deepak Punia won a bronze medal in the 86kg freestyle weight category at the U23 Asian wrestling championships 2022 in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- He defeated Maksat Satybaldy from Kazakhstan.
- India won 25 medals in all in the U23 meet in the event, including 10 gold medals.
AWARDS & PRIZES
Miss India Worldwide 2022
- Khushi Patel, a biomedical scholar from the United Kingdom, has been declared the winner of the Miss India Worldwide 2022, the longest-running Indian pageant exterior of India.
- Vaidehi Dongre from the US was declared the first runner up.
- Roshani Razack from Guyana was declared Miss Teen India Worldwide 2022.
- The highest 12 contestants on the pageant have been the winners of varied different contests globally.
- The pageant was held after 3 years.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Chairman Of Advisory Committee to Assist CoA
Entrepreneur Ranjit Bajaj has been named Chairman of an advisory committee to assist the Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators (CoA).
CoA runs the day-to-day affairs of All India Football Federation (AIFF).
- The 12-member advisory committee was appointed by the CoA to oversee the day-to-day matters of various departments of the AIFF.
World MSME Day
World MSME Day is observed every year on 27 June.
The day is celebrated to highlight the significance of MSMEs and how they play a crucial role in being the backbone of the country’s economy.
- World MSME Day 2022 also aims to raise public awareness regarding the contribution of MSMEs to global economic growth and sustainable development.
- The theme for the year 2022 is announced by the United Nations is ‘Resilience and Rebuilding: MSMEs for Sustainable Development’.
- The day was first marked by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in its 74th Plenary on 06 April 2017.
Former Chairman of BHEL
- V Krishnamurthy, a former Chairman of steel PSU SAIL, BHEL and Maruti Udyog Ltd (now Maruti Suzuki) passed away at the age of 97 in Chennai.
- V Krishnamurthy held many significant positions in his career and came to known as the ‘Father of Public Sector Undertakings in India’.
- He was also conferred with Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri by the Government of India.
- He was also known as the ‘turnaround man’ and started his career as a technician on the airfields during World War II.
- He did a diploma in electrical engineering and rose up through the ranks of the Madras Electricity Board.
Noted Lyricist, Author and Journalist Chowalloor Krishnankutty
- Noted lyricist, author and journalist, Chowalloor Krishnankutty from Kerala passed away. He was at the age 86.
- Krishnankutty penned over 3000 devotional songs and authored more than 200 books. He retired as an Assistant Editor with the Malayala Manorama daily.
- He won several awards including the Kerala Sahithya Academy Award for satire, Poonthanam Jnanapana and Revathy Pattathanam Awards among others.
- He also served as the Vice-Chairman of the Kerala Kalamandalam.