DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS 01-07-2022
On 30 June 2022, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Raising and Accelerating MSME Performance (RAMP) scheme with an outlay of around Rs 6,000 crore.
The scheme aims to scale up implementation capacity and coverage of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in the states, with impact enhancement of existing MSME schemes.
- PM Modi launched the scheme at the ‘Udyami Bharat’ programme at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
- MSME sector accounts for almost one third of India's economy. The role of MSME is very significant for India's exports to increase.
MHI Sign MoU with MSDE
The Ministry of Heavy Industries (MHI) and the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to create a collaborative ecosystem for imparting skill development training in the capital goods sector.
The partnership is aimed at facilitating training in several engineering trades through Qualification Packs (QPs) developed by MHI-related Sector Skill Councils under the Scheme for Enhancement of Competitiveness in the Capital Goods Sector Phase II.
- Under this initiative, MHI shall provide 100% funding support to MHI Sector Skill Councils.
- MHI shall provide linkage between Industry associations and SSCs for imparting skilling to more than 70,000 individuals over a period of three years.
World’s Largest Innovation Centre
- The Chief Minister of Telangana K Chandrashekhar Rao inaugurated the Phase-2 of T-Hub (Technology Hub) in Hyderabad, Largest Innovation Centre.
- The facility will support over 2,000 startups under one roof making it the world’s largest innovation campus.
- T-Hub will provide young Indians to launch their startups with a collaborative innovation ecosystem.
- The first T-Hub was launched in 2015 on the campus of IIT-Hyderabad, under the name of Catalyst.
- The startup ecosystem in Telangana was ranked among top 10 global ecosystems in affordable talent and among top 15 in Asia in terms of attracting funds.
India Forum for Nature-Based Solutions
The National Institute of Urban Affairs’ (NIUA) Climate Centre for Cities (NIUA C-Cube) and World Resources Institute India (WRI India) launched India’s first national coalition platform for urban nature-based solutions (NbS).
- It was launched at the 1th World Urban Forum in Poland.
- ‘India Forum for Nature-based Solutions’ is led by the National Institute of Urban Affairs’ Climate Centre for Cities (NIUA C-Cube) and anchored by World Resources Institute India (WRI Indija) under the Cities4Forests initiative.
- It is supported by Caterpillar Foundation, Department of Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA), Govt. of United Kingdom and Norway’s International Climate and Forest Initiative (NICFI).
- It is fast emerging sustainable ways to address climate change induced challenges.
World Bank Approves $1 Billion Loans
The World Bank Board of Executive Directors approved two complementary loans of $500 million each to support and enhance India's health sector.
Through this combined financing of $1 billion, the Bank will support India's flagship Pradhan Mantri-Ayushman Bharat Health Infrastructure Mission (PM-ABHIM), launched in October 2021, to improve the public healthcare infrastructure across the country.
- In addition to the national level interventions, one of the loans will prioritize seven states including Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Meghalaya, Odisha, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh.
- India's performance in health has improved over time. According to World Bank estimates, India's life expectancy at 69.8 in 2020 from 58 in 1990 which is higher than the average for the country's income level.
RANKS, INDICES & REPORTS
4 Indian Cities in Top 20 Sustainable Cities in Asia Pacific
Four Indian cities namely Bengaluru, Delhi, Hyderabad and Mumbai made it to the list of top 20 sustainable cities, as per the Asia Pacific Sustainability Index 2021.
The Report titled Active Capital Asia-Paific (APAC)-Rising Capital in Uncertain Times has been released by property consultant Knight Frank.
- Singapore, Sydney, Wellington, Perth and Melbourne were the top five green-rated cities in commercial real estate in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Bengaluru led the sustainability index amongst the top Indian cities and ranked 14th in the APAC region. Bengaluru was the only Indian city to achieve the ‘Gold’ standard category. Delhi ranked second amongst the Indian cities (ranked 17th) in the APAC region followed by Hyderabad (ranked 18th) and Mumbai (ranked 20th).
AWARDS & PRIZES
Kempegowda International Award
Former chief minister of Karnataka S M Krishna, founder of Infosys & IT industry veteran N R Narayana Murthy and former badminton player Prakash Padukone, were selected for Kempegowda International Award 2022.
Kempegowda Award also known as Nadaprabhu Kempegowda Award is a civilian award which is presented by Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP), annually.
- Chief Minister Basavaraja Bommai will give the awards to recipients during grand celebration on the occasion of 513th birth anniversary of Kempegowda.
- This award carries a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh and a plaque.
- The award has been instituted by the Karnataka Government.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
President of the Philippines
Ferdinand 'Bongbong' Marcos Jr has been sworn in as the 17th President of the Philippines.
- He succeeds Rodrigo Duterte.
- 64-year-old Marcos is the son and namesake of Philippines' late dictator.
- Sara Duterte is sworn as the Vice-President.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
ISRO Launches PSLV C-53
The national space agency, Indian Space Research Organisation, has successfully launched the rocket PSLV C-53 carrying three Singaporean satellites from the spaceport at Sriharikota.
- Six nano-satellites including those belonging to India’s two private pace start-ups also went to space.
- PSLV C-53 is the second dedicated commercial mission of the NewSpace India limited.
- The Department of Space known as the New Space India Limited has successfully completed two launches, the first being the launch of the GSAT-24 communication satellite onboard the Arinave-V rocket from French Guiana.
International Asteroid Day
International Asteroid Day is celebrated every year on 30 June.
The day aims to make the public aware about asteroid impact hazards and the crisis communication actions that can be taken at the global level in case there is a credible near-Earth object threat.
- The theme for the year 2022 is ‘Small is Beautiful’.