India largest SO2 emitter in world: Greenpeace
India largest SO2 emitter in world: Greenpeace
- India is the world’s largest emitter of anthropogenic sulphur dioxide, which is produced from coal burning, and greatly contributes to air pollution, a study claimed on August 19.
- According to an analysis of a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) data released by environmental NGO Greenpeace on August 19, India has more than 15% of all anthropogenic sulphur dioxide (SO2) hotspots in the world detected by the OMI (Ozone Monitoring Instrument) satellite.
Gujarat to get country’s first Central Institute of Chemical Engineering and Technology
- Gujarat will get the country’s first Central Institute of Chemical Engineering and Technology (CICET)
- It will be built on the lines of Central Institute of Plastic Engineering and Technology (CIPET).
- The aim is to facilitate the chemical industry with research and innovations
Chief Minister of Gujarat-Vijay Rupani
Governor of Gujarat-Acharya Dev Vrat
NITK, HP Enterprise ink pact
- National Institute of Technology Karnataka (NITK) at Surathkal has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with HP Enterprise for undertaking research collaborations and industry internship for students.
- Other activities such as expert lectures and workshops will also be part of the MoU. A high-performance computing lab, sponsored by HP Enterprise, was inaugurated at the Department of Information Technology of NITK.
Paytm elevates CFO Madhur Deora as the next President
- Paytm has elevated its CFO Madhu Deora as President of the company.
- Madhur joined the digital payment firm in October 2016. Earlier,
- Deora has served as Managing Director in Citigroup's investment banking business in New York, London and Mumbai.
Mitchell Johnson becomes MCC Honourary Life Member
- Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) announced that former Australia pacer Mitchell Johnson has been elected as an honorary life member of the club.
- Johnson has played 73 Test matches for Australia, taking 313 wickets, after making his debut in 2007.
D Vasu, Ranji coach for Tamil Nadu this season
- Tamil Nadu all-rounder D Vasu was appointed head coach of the Ranji team for the upcoming season at the executive committee meeting of Tamil Nadu Cricket Association (TNCA) held on Monday.
- Vasu replaces Hrishikesh Kanitkar. Former Tamil Nadu captain R Prasanna, fielding coach last season, has been promoted to assistant coach.
- Vasu has also been as director of TNCA Academy.
Manmohan Singh elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha
- Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was elected unopposed as a member of the Rajya Sabha from Rajasthan. Dr. Singh, 86, the Congress candidate, was declared elected after the deadline for withdrawal of nominations ended.
- The seat fell vacant following the death of State BJP president Madan Lal Saini on June 24 last. Saini was elected to the Upper House last year.
Prestigious fellowship for scientist
- K. Thangaraj, chief scientist of the city-based CSIR-Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) has been awarded the prestigious J.C. Bose Fellowship for his outstanding scientific contributions in the field of population and medical genomics.
- The JC Bose fellowship is awarded to active scientists in recognition of their outstanding performance by the Science and Engineering Research Board, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
Ashley Cole announces retirement from professional football
- Former Arsenal, Chelsea, Roma and LA Galaxy star Ashley Cole has announced his retirement from professional football at the age of 38.
- Cole earned 107 international caps with England, and was without a club since he finished last season with Derby County.
- He made his professional debut for Arsenal in 1999, and also had a spell on loan with Crystal Palace.
Balesh Sharma steps down as CEO of Vodafone Idea
- Vodafone Idea Ltd, which is in the midst of a complex integration process, said its chief executive Balesh Sharma has resigned citing “personal reasons" and will be replaced by Vodafone Group’s India representative, Ravinder Takkar.
Sahitya Akademi Award winner NS Tasneem passes away at 91
- Eminent Punjabi writer and Sahitya Akademi winner Professor Niranjan Singh Tasneem died at his residence in Ludhiana’s Vishal Nagar. He was 91.
- He initially wrote in Urdu before switching to English and Punjabi.
- He was awarded Punjab’s highest literary honour – Punjabi Sahit Rattan – in 2015.
Veteran music composer Khayyam passes away
- Veteran composer Khayyam, best known for his music in classic films such as Umrao Jaan and Kabhi Kabhie, passed away after a prolonged illness at a hospital here on Monday. He was 92.