31st International Conference on Sindh held in London
31st International Conference on Sindh held in London
- The World Sindhi Congress (WSC) hosted a 31st international conference on Sindh in London. In WSC the participants highlighted issues such as enforced disappearances of activists, human rights violations and forced conversion of religious minorities in Pakistan.
- The 31st International Conference on Sindh slammed Pakistan over its failure to respect democratic rights and curbs on by the country’s military and called on the need to tackle growing religious extremism.
Suresh Chitturi appointed Chairman of International Egg Commission
- Suresh Chitturi, Vice Chairman & Managing Director of Srinivasa Farms is the first Indian and Asian to be elected Chairman of the International Egg Commission (IEC).
- An avid promoter of the nutritional benefits of the egg, Suresh’s tenure at the helm will be for the next two years.
- The elevation to lead the international body is in a way recognition of his work in advocacy for the poultry industry.
- Suresh Chitturi took over as the Chairman at the IEC Global Leadership Conference in Copenhagen.
- The global network for the egg industry, with members in over 80 countries, the IEC was established at the second International Egg Conference in Bologna, Italy, in 1964.
RBI appoints Jai Bhagwan Bhoria as administrator for PMC Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India has superseded the Board of Punjab and Maharashtra Cooperative Bank Limited, Mumbai and appointed Jai Bhagwan Bhoria as the bank's administrator with all powers of the board.
- The amount of withdrawal from the bank allowed to depositors has been increased from one thousand to ten thousand rupees.
Kalli Purie honoured with ‘India’s most powerful women in media’ award
- Indian journalist Kallie Puri was honoured with “India’s Most Powerful Women in Media” award.
- She received the global honour at the prestigious Confluence Excellence Awards at the British Parliament on September 27, 2019.
- Kallie Puri is currently serving as the Vice-Chairperson of the India Today Group.
Tapan Mishra honoured with the National Tourism Award
- Odisha’s Tapan Kumar Mishra has been honoured with the National Tourism Award for the Category of “Best Tourist Guide” for the year 2017-18 during celebration of the World Tourism Day. He is a freelance Tourist Guide approved by the Union Ministry of Tourism.
- Tapan Kumar Mishra has the rarest achievement of accompanying a single Belgian tourist for 965 days in a span of 8 years in which he has covered 26 States out of which 15 states twice on road from Odisha covering more than one lakh km.
Planet named after Pandit Jasraj
- Pandit Jasraj has been bestowed with a surreal, rare and a universal honour from International Astronomical Union (IAU). Minor Planet 2006 VP32 (Number - 300128) discovered on November 11, 2006, has been named as 'Panditjasraj.
- 'Panditjasraj' traverses the cosmos between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.
- The planet, Panditjasraj is in our Solar System and is situated between Mars and Jupiter.
- This was made official by IAU on September 23, 2019, followed by a Citation.
Legendary Mexican Singer José Dies at 71
- The passing of singer José Rómulo Sosa, better known as José of the prince of the song.
- The singer, who confirmed he had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2017, died from the disease.
Indian National Army veteran dead
- A veteran of the Indian National Army (INA) V Ganesan, belonging to Sembodai village near Vedaranyam in Nagapattinam district, is no more.
- While participating in the battle against the British Army in Myanmar, Ganesan was arrested and was imprisoned for 10 months in Yangon jail and was later repatriated to India.
Aryna Sabalenka beats Alison Riske to win WTA Wuhan Open
- Aryna Sabalenka became the first player to claim back-to-back titles in Wuhan thanks to a 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 victory over American Alison Riske.
- The 21-year-old improved her record at the event to a perfect 12-0 and joins Petra Kvitova as the only two-time Wuhan Open champions.
Sumit Nagal wins men's singles title ATP Challenger Tournament
- In Tennis, Sumit Nagal has won the men's singles title of ATP Challenger Tournament at Buenos Aires in Argentina.
- He defeated local favourite Facundo Bognis in straight-sets 6-4, 6-2 in an hour and 37-minute match to claim the 54,160 US dollars prize money.
- The 22-year-old from Haryana, seeded seventh, outclassed 8th seed Bognis of Argentina to become first Indian to win on South American clay court.
2019 Russian Grand Prix race report: Hamilton steals win & Ferrari squabbles
- Formula One World Champion Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes won the 2019 Russia F1 Grand Prix (Formula 1 GP) at Sochi Autodrom race track in Russia.
- Mercedes Valtteri Bottas (Finland) and Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc (Monaco) won the second and third spot respectively.
- The victory was the 82nd of Hamilton’s career, and ninth of the season, leaving him short of Michael Schumacher’s all-time record of 91.
Japan’s Kento Momota wins Korea Open
- Top-ranked Kento Momota of Japan clinched the men’s singles title at the Korea Open badminton tournament with a win over number two Chou Tien-chen of Taiwan.
- The 25-year-old downed Chou 21-19, 21-17 in a final that lasted 53 minutes.
- Momota, with over 300 wins under his belt, saw his career descend into controversy in 2016 when he was suspended for more than a year for visiting an illegal casino and was denied a spot at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
IAAF World C'ships: Fraser-Pryce wins fourth 100 metres world title
- Jamaican sprint legend Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce won her fourth women's 100 metres world title in Doha on Sunday in stunning style.
- The 32-year-old -- also a two-time Olympic champion -- coasted to an impressive victory in a world leading time for the year of 10.71 seconds.